I watched a video yesterday of the NC pastor who ranted in his sermon about what should be done to gay men and women. I won’t go into that here (at least this time)…..but it got me thinking. What other stupid laws are still on the books? And since I live in Washington, I thought I would start here.
- In Bremerton, you may not shuck peanuts on the street.
- In Seattle, it is illegal to carry a fishbowl on a bus because other passengers may be disturbed.
- In Lynden, both drinking and dancing cannot happen at the same place. I am willing to bet this law is broken often.
- Harassing Bigfoot is a felony.
- It is illegal to pretend your parents are rich.
After seeing these, I get curious. After living in New Orleans for many years, there has to be some dumb laws still on the books there. And I was not wrong!
- “Fake” wrestling matches are prohibited.
- You could land in jail for up to 10 years for stealing an alligator. If you survive.
- It is illegal to gargle in public places.
- Drive-thru liquor stores are outlawed. But not drive-thru daiquiri shops?
- It is illegal to be an alcoholic.
- It is illegal to practice voodoo in the city limits of New Orleans.
What about other countries? Closing my eyes, I choose…….Denmark.
- If a person finds a lost child, they can claim that child as their own if the parents doesn’t show up within 2 hours.
- It is illegal for women to wear wigs.
- Eating raw bacon during a full moon is illegal.
- When driving, you must have someone in front of your car with a flag to warn horse drawn carriages that a car is coming. Are horse drawn carriages still being used in Denmark?
- You may not start a car while someone is underneath the vehicle.
So tell me – what is the dumbest law you have heard of?
Thanks to stupidlaws.com for providing a comprehensive list of stupid laws by state and country.